Attorneys William S. Barton and M. Lynn Williams originally established Barton & Williams, P.A. in 1995. They now maintain separate practices and offices while providing counsel to one another in their respective areas of practice, working together when it best serves the clients’ interests. 

Office addresses below. 

William S. Barton, Esquire
301 739 3032
M. Lynn Williams, Esquire
301 739 3131

525 Northern Avenue 
Hagerstown, Maryland 21742 
Phone: 301 739 3032 
Fax: 301 739 5553

FAQ - Workers' Compensation

We try to anticipate questions you might have about Workers' Compensation and provide the answers here. If you need additional information, call the office and speak with Mr. Barton.

Q: I was injured at work, and I reported it to my boss. They are providing medical care. Everything is good, right?

A: Not necessarily. Did you actually file a claim? It is the injured worker's responsibility to file the claim. Do not assume that just because you reported the injury or medical bills are being paid that a claim has been filed. Call us, and we will check and see. You have only limited time in which to file.

Q: But I have a claim number, so a claim has been filed, right?

A: Not necessarily. Some insurance companies give you a claim number, but it is their internal number. It does not mean a claim has been filed with the Workers' Compensation Commission. Call us. We can tell you whether you have done what is required.

Q: What benefits am I entitled to under the Workers' Compensation Law?

A: There are four basic benefits: 1. Medical care. 2. Temporary total disability benefits 3. Permanent partial or permanent total disability benefits 4. Vocational Rehabilitation Services.  Call us to discuss these benefits and what you are entitled to under the law.

Q: My employer requires that I go to the company doctor for treatment. Do I have to do this?

A: The short answer is no. You can go to a doctor of your own choosing. But it is not always a simple process. Each case and the decisions made concerning medical treatment need to be determined on their own facts. This is one of those areas where an experienced attorney can be of assistance. Call us. We can help.

I have been hurt on the job. I have no income coming in. How can I pay an attorney for help?

A: Don't worry about the legal fee. We get paid either at the end of the case or sometimes as the case progresses, but only when we are successful in getting you paid. All legal fees are set by the Workers' Compensation Commission and subject to the approval of the Commission.

This page is new and under construction. If you have questions, you would like us to consider adding to this page. Please use the contact page to send an inquiry. We will be updating this page as time progresses.